MI-BOX Mobile Storage leads the moving and storage industry in customer satisfaction, equipment and service. Our dealership opportunities were designed to provide everything needed to run and operate your own successful portable storage and moving business. Build your future mobile storage business with quality products and turnkey solutions from MI-BOX. Dealerships are available in the US and Canada.
The three founding members of MI-BOX spent years researching traditional self-storage facilities, moving businesses, truck rental companies and the customers they service. In doing so, it became abundantly clear that customers demand convenience, service and satisfaction.
In an effort to provide cost effective and convenient solutions to local customers in our hometown Chicago markets, the owners of MI-BOX set a course for success. In 2004, MI-BOX started manufacturing containers for our own mobile storage business in Chicago, IL and quickly built it to over 400+ containers. MI-BOX Moving and Mobile Storage, based in Joliet, IL, invented, designed and engineered our proprietary, industry-leading Level-Lift ™ system and we have been manufacturing our portable storage brand of containers since 2004.
Our company-owned facility consists of 28,000 sq. ft. of climate controlled warehouse space and operates with only two trucks fitted with our patented Level Lift™ container delivery system. With one operations manager and just two drivers, MI-BOX can run a larger operation while maintaining a low cost structure. Our Level-Lift ™ system enables us to service more customers, in more areas, with greater efficiencies, than any other mobile storage competitor.
We developed our products and services with first-hand knowledge and experience in growing our own mobile storage business. Our products and services enable MI-BOX to provide the highest level of service with guaranteed customer satisfaction. From concept to reality, the three founding members and our dealers remain the driving force behind MI-BOX.
MI-BOX has dealerships from coast to coast in the U.S. and Canada. We continue expanding into new markets with quality dealers.
Efficient Delivery System
The MI-BOX Level Lift and Delivery System is the most efficient container transport system available. It allows its users to complete more deliveries, faster, easier and safer than any other. We designed and patented our Lift System to give its users the competitive advantages needed to out service any mobile storage company. Only MI-BOX dealers can get our Level Lift System. It’s patented technology that gives each MI-BOX dealer a distinct advantage.
The foundation of any mobile storage business is built on storage containers and a way of delivering them. MI-BOX brand mobile storage containers quickly set the bar for quality container manufacturing. With enhancements like hot dipped galvanizing, composite wall panels and modular flat pack shipping. MI-BOX portable storage containers remain the most versatile, longest lasting, best valued containers available.
The MI-BOX Difference
The enhanced service capabilities of our Lift System and quality of our containers is the foundation of MI-BOX. With an incredible demand for our products, MI-BOX began expanding throughout the United States and Canada with our dealership program. This program was designed to be flexible enough to work with any business while still protecting our intellectual property rights and brand recognition.
Our dealership model provides complete turnkey solutions including everything a business would need to succeed in mobile storage. MI-BOX dealers can immediately launch their business with confidence and support. With equipment that gives them a distinct competitive advantage and proven operational tools, our dealers can avoid costly mistakes and reach their goals much faster.
Expanding throughout North America
MI-BOX is rapidly expanding throughout North America and our dealership network just keeps getting stronger. Our comprehensive dealership program includes absolutely everything anyone would ever need to run a successful mobile storage business. Using the most trusted brand name in the industry with the longest-lasting containers, most-efficient level delivery system and operational tools that generating faster lease up times and greater profitability.
Our dealership model keeps you in control of running the day to day operations to determine your own destination.
MI-BOX dealerships directly benefit from the combined knowledge and experience gained over many years of operating our own mobile storage business and supporting a network of MI-BOX dealers. Our dealership program was designed to provide a complete turnkey business opportunity for mobile storage.
Existing MI-BOX dealers throughout North America helped shape the MI-BOX dealership program to become the most sought after mobile storage opportunity available. Our products and services have been tested and used by the ones we trust the most… our dealers. This unique opportunity has been refined over the years to be flexible business solutions that work with any business. As a MI-BOX dealer, you will receive access to our exclusive products and services, training and our unlimited support to keep you and your new business on track.
Not a Franchise
MI-BOX is not a franchise, rather a dealership, which means you stay in control of your business. MI-BOX will supply the foundation upon which to build your business using the most trusted brand name in the industry.
MI-BOX dealers all receive the following benefits:
- The most trusted brand name in the industry – Each MI-BOX dealer receives the exclusive rights to use the MI-BOX Trademark name provided within the terms of our Dealership Agreement to conduct their business.
- Longest lasting mobile storage containers available – MI-BOX storage containers are available in three standard sizes. Storage containers come in lengths of 8 ft., 16 ft. and 20 ft. They are 7 ft. 3 in. wide and 7 ft. 10 in. in height. Mobile storage containers are shipped from our manufacturing facility in a modular flat pack design to save on transportation costs. They are typically constructed in about 1 hour with just a few people. 21 of our 16 ft. flat pack containers can be shipped on one truck. Dealers are required to purchase storage containers only from MI-BOX for use in their business. For more details click here.
- Our patented Level delivery system for transporting containers – The MI-BOX Level Lift System is a specialized, patented delivery system used for transporting MI-BOX containers. It was designed to lift a total weight of 10,000 lbs. and to be mounted to a variety of truck chassis under 26,000 GVW. For more details click here – MI-BOX Level Lift System
- Website platform customized for your service area SEO/SEM – MI-BOX has developed its website at www.getmibox.com for use with all of its dealers. The MI-BOX website is designed to send potential customers directly to each dealer’s locations page within our website for pricing and information specific to each dealer. MI-BOX will set up each dealer’s own locations page within our website, which appears seamless to any searching party. Each dealer has the ability to completely edit their individual locations page including pricing details, service areas, links, videos, special offers and/or services and more. MI-BOX will set up each dealer’s location page within our website and compile a list of postal/zip codes surrounding each dealers territory and establish a data base of the postal/zip codes in which to direct customers . When potential customers enter their service postal/zip codes into our website, the respective dealer handling those postal/zip codes location page will appear with any services offered by that dealer and corresponding pricing will appear. By only directing local area postal/zip codes leads, inquiries and orders for each dealer from the MI-BOX website, only serviceable customers will be directed to each dealership location. Upon receipt of deposit amount for containers, MI-BOX will start building the zip code data base and pricing page for the protected territory and will have it live and working within a few weeks.
- MI-BOX operational software to run your daily business – MI-BOX has designed our proprietary software for efficient organization of information, scheduling, billing and work order generation. It has everything needed to manage your mobile storage operations. It is simple and easy to use and filled with powerful tools to manage your daily activities. Useful reports are easily generated to keep you up to date. MI-BOX will set up each Dealer on our software system upon the receipt of the deposit for the container order and aid in the installation process. It is not an accounting program. MI-BOX will assist each dealer with the set up and proper training based upon their individual needs shortly after your dealership agreement is finalized.
- Complete operations manual and start up guide – MI-BOX has compiled a detailed Operations Manual which will be distributed to each Dealer. The Operations Manual was designed by MI-BOX based upon running a mobile storage business. It provides a detailed description of pre-opening procedures, personnel duties and responsibilities, sales procedures, office procedures, delivery and pick up procedures and advertising programs. These methods have been developed and used by MI-BOX and their dealers to assist with the day to day activities of running a mobile storage business. These guidelines can be altered by each dealer to best suit their business needs. The Operations Manual will be sent to each dealer shortly after your dealership agreement is finalized.
- Marketing and Advertising programs – MI-BOX will make available its brochures, postcards, direct mail pieces, magnets, T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Logos, Yellow Page Ads, Real Estate Yard Signs, Referral Programs, Business Cards, television commercial and specialty programs developed in a specific tested format. Our programs have been tested and suggestions will be made as to how best promote your business. MI-BOX will supply the artwork for your use. You may alter, change, or add other services to the original artwork to accommodate your specific needs. You may not alter the MI-BOX Logo in any manner. Any and all production costs, artwork changes, copies, plates, dies, or other charges are your responsibility paid to your printer. MI-BOX will send its current advertising artwork for all current programs shortly after your dealership agreement is finalized.
- Unlimited training and ongoing support – MI-BOX will supply operations training, software training, lift system training, and day to day procedural training for up to 3 people at our Joliet Facility. This on the job training will cover daily activities of real life situations encountered in mobile storage and are designed to familiarize you with every aspect of running a mobile storage business. All travel costs and accommodations are not included. Training will be scheduled in accordance with a mutually agreeable schedule
- Dealership file sharing and networking – MI-BOX has a platform for all dealers to communicate and share ideas, resources, programs and other valuable information. This can be very helpful during your start up months.
- Customer rental agreement – MI-BOX will supply each dealer with our agreement form (Illinois Version) to be reviewed by Buyer at Buyer’s cost for adaptation to Buyer’s specific state; Our Customer Lease Agreement form (Illinois Version) is used when renting containers to our customers. This should be used by each dealer as a basis from which to draft a proper agreement for each dealer. Since laws vary by state/province regulating self-storage and mobile storage, each dealer is strongly advised to seek the advice of a qualified attorney to draft an agreement for use with their customers and mobile storage business.
- Customized territory in which to operate
The MI-BOX Dealership Program was created for businesses and individuals who want products that work and the knowledge of how to best use them. We have used our products and our systems since 2004 in our own mobile storage business which has over 400+ containers. They have also been used by our dealers throughout the United States and Canada for many years.
Our equipment, products, services and operational systems are only available to MI-BOX dealers which gives each dealer a competitive advantage of any other mobile storage provider.
Using our complete business system ensures you will be off on the right foot with everything you need. Don’t waste valuable time and effort trying to figure everything out on your own. Get started quickly and easily using quality equipment, brand recognition and build your own business using the knowledge and experience of an industry leader.
MI-BOX has dealers across the United States and Canada that have been using our products and services for years. Avoid costly mistakes by using a business model that is proven to work. Don’t waste time and money trying to brand a business that only uses the same inferior products that limit your business. Use the most trusted brand in the industry by becoming a MI-BOX dealer and build your valuable business. Use our patented level lift and delivery system which enables your business to provide a greater level of service and use MI-BOX storage containers that will work for the life of your business.
Be Your Own Boss
MI-BOX Dealers are in charge of every aspect of their business. From talking to their customers, to booking orders, to scheduling their mobile storage pick up and deliveries, to their finances. MI-BOX provides a proven system in which to operate and assists each dealer with every step of the process.
Each MI-BOX dealer uses the MI-BOX name, logos, storage containers and lift systems to gain faster brand recognition and more timely entrance to the market. There is no need to figure everything out on your own. MI-BOX dealers throughout the United States and Canada use our dealership system to produce results for their businesses.
Be your own boss, run your own business and enjoy the fruits of your labor by becoming a MI-BOX Dealership. Investing into the right equipment and brand is the investment into your business. The MI-BOX equipment and brand helps you stand out in the crowd and create value in your business. MI-BOX has dealership opportunities available throughout the United States and Canada.
Dealers will be required to purchase MI-BOX containers, our patented Level Lift System, a truck on which to mount it, pay a $15,500 fee to set up your new business and a Dealership fee based on the size of your service area. The dealership fee can range from $25,000 – $250,000 which is largely determined by you and your business model.
MI-BOX also charges a monthly fee based on the number of containers each dealer has in its inventory. For more information on the costs associated with a MI-BOX dealership, please explore the site to learn more about the business and then click Get Started to contact the MI-BOX representative for your area.
Dealership vs Franchise
A dealership is different than a franchise. A dealership has fewer restrictions than a franchise and enables you to keep more of the money you make and deserve. MI-BOX is expanding dealerships and does not solicit franchising. So, what are the main differences?
- Control – One of the main differences between the two is how they are run. A dealership is run by an independent entrepreneur, while a franchise is managed by a franchisee. Most business people prefer running dealerships rather than franchises, because they can run the dealership business as they see fit. They are only advised on how to run it by the parent, but they do not have to follow this advice. They choose the pricing for their products and working hours. A franchise represents the company as a whole. This means the managers have to follow all the company’s rules and regulations.
- Royalties – Franchises have to pay their parent companies monthly royalty fees for trading in the brand. In addition to these fees, most franchises also have to pay their umbrella companies a certain percentage of their total monthly sales. The owner of a dealership does not have to deal with so many charges. The dealer retains more profit.
- Initial Start-Up Costs – The charges involved in setting up a franchise are substantial. The entrepreneur has to pay for franchising fees, equipment and other licenses. He also must find a number of people to employ. These employees need to be trained, and this is an additional cost. A dealership owner, on the other hand, does not have to worry about such costs. He mostly incurs the costs of getting the license and purchasing the products.
- Goals – Another difference between the two is their goals. A franchise has to meet the set targets set by the franchiser (the main company). Franchise owners also are required to buy a fixed number of products from the parent company. If the franchisee does not meet these requirements, he can be shut down by the franchiser. The owner of a dealership sets his own goals. Whether he achieves his goals is up to him.
Franchisor rules imposed by the franchising authority are usually very strict.
Each party to a franchise has several interests to protect. The franchisor is involved in securing protection for the trademark, controlling the business concept and securing know-how. The franchisee is obligated to carry out the services for which the trademark has been made prominent or famous. There is a great deal of standardization required. The place of service has to bear the franchisor’s signs, logos and trademark in a prominent place. The uniforms worn by the staff of the franchisee have to be of a particular design and color. The service has to be in accordance with the pattern followed by the franchisor in the successful franchise operations. Thus, franchisees are not in full control of the business, as they would be in retailing.
A service can be successful if equipment and supplies are purchased at a fair price from the franchisor or sources recommended by the franchisor. A coffee brew, for example, can be readily identified by the trademark if its raw materials come from a particular supplier. If the franchisor requires purchase from his stores, it may come under anti-trust legislation or equivalent laws of other countries. So too the purchase things like uniforms of personnel and signs, as well as the franchise sites, if they are owned or controlled by the franchisor.
The franchisee must carefully negotiate the license and must develop a marketing or business plan with the franchisor. The fees must be fully disclosed and there should not be any hidden fees. The start-up costs and working capital must be known before the license is granted. There must be assurance that additional licensees will not crowd the “territory” if the franchise is worked according to plan. The franchisee must be seen as an independent merchant. It must be protected by the franchisor from any trademark infringement by third parties. A franchise attorney is required to assist the franchisee during negotiations.
Starting a new mobile storage business doesn’t have to be difficult if you have the right knowledge and experience. Learning something for the first time always takes more time and costs more. MI-BOX Mobile Storage started in 2004 and has grown to service customers from coast to coast in the United States and Canada.
Our mobile storage dealership network is continually growing and developing new moving and storage business solutions for our dealers. MI-BOX mobile storage containers and level delivery systems have been tested for years in virtually every climate and situation. We developed and refined our business model to work with any type of business.
Our marketing programs have been tested and are proven to produce results. The knowledge and experience our dealers have learned over the years is available to every new MI-BOX dealer. MI-BOX continually invests back into our dealership model so every dealer has access to the latest technology and supporting platform.
We want you to know what we know, we want you to learn what works and why, we want you to succeed and we will support each dealer to the best of our ability. Why? The answer is simple. Because our name depends on it!
Mobile storage is growing exponentially as awareness of its benefits increase. It’s becoming the preferred way for people to move and store their belongings. Mobile storage or portable storage as it is also called, is capturing customers from the existing $ 22.5 billion self-storage market, the $ 16.5 billion moving industry and creating new alternatives for customers that need temporary storage on their site. Since this industry is still in its infancy, the possibilities for growth seem limitless. Mobile storage offers cost effective and convenient solution to the millions of people that move and store each year.
Mobile storage is in every major market in the United States and Canada and it’s rapidly expanding to industrialized countries throughout the world. Major van lines and self storage companies have already embraced it. Many have added it to service new customers, penetrate vertical markets and differentiate their business. Numerous mobile storage companies have emerged over the past decade but most use similar containers and delivery methods. Having a unique selling proposition, a recognizable brand name, and operational support can set you apart and increase your chances of success.
Mobile storage is a very scalable business. One can start with a minimal amount of containers and a way of delivering them. Then, build their inventory of containers as rented containers accumulate. This process can be repeated until the land or warehouse space is maximized. This can be done very quickly or gradually depending on your business plan and bandwidth.
Stand-alone or Add-on
It can be a stand-alone business or easily added to an existing business. A stand-alone business will typically require more rented containers to reach profitability as common expenses cannot be shared as with an existing business. It’s a great add on to existing self storage and moving businesses as the cost of where to keep the containers and existing labor expenses are already accounted for.
Few employees are needed for even a larger mobile storage operator. A 400+ box operation may only consist of an operations manager and two drivers. A smaller 150 box operator may only have a driver with the owner being the operations manager. As the owner, it’s really up to you to decide what roll you will play in the day to day operations.
The explosive growth of mobile storage can be seen in every major market in the United States and Canada. It will continue for as long as people are in need of cost effective convenient moving and storage solutions. Get the advantages mobile storage has to offer your business … Get MI-BOX!
Step 1: Deciding on the Right Products
Every mobile storage business is built using portable storage containers and a way of delivering them. We encourage everyone getting into mobile storage to exhaustively research your portable storage container and delivery system options. Then, compare your findings to MI-BOX. If you can find a better portable storage container… buy it. If you can find a better container delivery system… buy it. We manufacture and use our own products in our portable storage business. They work for us and our dealers and they will work for you too. Build your business foundation with portable storage containers and container delivery systems that gives your business the competitive advantage from the start.
Step 2: Know your Service Markets
Portable storage offers the tremendous benefit of delivering moving and storage services to your customers. On a daily basis, portable storage businesses can effectively service about a 1 hour drive time from any facility. Yes, it is possible to travel beyond 1 hour, but your efforts should be concentrated within this radius to maximize results. Portable storage services 3 primary markets.
a. On Site Markets: This market is defined by customers who are in need of a portable storage container that is delivered to a customer and left there until they are done renting the unit. Great for remodeling projects, restoration companies and commercial contractors. One initial delivery is made to bring the container to the customer and one final pick up is made once the job is completed.
b. Moving or Site to Site Markets: This market is defined by customers who are in need of a portable storage container being delivered to a customer’s initial site and moved directly to another site designated by the customer. Similar to the U-Hauler’s or truck rental markets the moving market is highly targeted by portable storage. This can be for any period of time, days, weeks, months or even years. Storage containers are rented by the month, so the customer is under no time constraints. An initial delivery is made to bring the container to the customer; a return trip to that location is made to retrieve the storage container. The container is delivered to the customer’s final destination, and a final pick up is made once the job is completed.
c. Self Storage Markets: This market is defined by customers who are in need of a portable storage container but also need a place to keep their stored contents for any length of time. Very similar to self-storage, this market provides moving and storage services but also offers the tremendous benefit of convenience. Customers don’t have to rent a truck, pay fuel charges or be under the time constraints of making multiple trips to a self-storage facility. An initial delivery is made to bring the container to the customer; it is left there until the customer has had time to load their contents. Once loaded, the portable storage container is picked up and brought back to a secure warehouse or fenced in lot for storage. Customers may come out to retrieve any stored items and a final delivery is made when the customer is done renting. A final pick up is completed once the customer’s belongings have been unloaded.
These are the markets mobile storage services. Virtually every single customer will fall into one of these categories. Research these markets in your service area. Understand the needs of your customers. Know your competitors who service these markets. Use products that give your business the ability to perform a greater service to your customers to give you the best chance of success. As a MI-BOX dealer, we will help you properly identify market opportunities in your area.
Step 3: Develop Your Business Plan
Not all businesses are alike. A portable storage franchise is different from a portable storage dealership. A portable storage dealership has fewer restrictions than a portable storage franchise. MI-BOX helps you create a vision of how you want your business to look and most importantly, helps you understand the numbers associated with it. Will you be doing everything yourself? Will you have a few employees? Will you rent a warehouse or secure storage lot or buy one? Understanding your monthly expenses is critical to reaching your goals. Don’t worry, MI-BOX will assist you every step of the way. Using actual expenses from our dealer operations, we can help you build an accurate expense analysis. Once you understand your expenses – It’s time to understand your income.
Step 4: How Portable Storage Dealers Make Money
MI-BOX dealers rent containers to residential and commercial customers by the month and charge delivery fees to get containers to their customers and pick them up. Monthly rental rates are determined by each dealer but are typically in the range of other competing business. On average, 16 ft containers rent for $ 190 per month. Delivery charges also are determined by each dealer and vary by distance traveled. Typical delivery charges range from $ 65 – $95. MI-BOX charges an initial delivery charge and a final delivery charge.
|Monthly Rental Fee – 16 ft|
|Avg Months Containers are Rented||X||4|
|Avg Initial Delivery + Final Pick Up Fee||+||$150|
|Total Income per rented container||=||$906|
|# of months||/||4|
|Avg income per container||=||$226.50|
|Number of rented containers||X|
|Gross Monthly Income||=||$45,300|
Multiply the average monthly income per rented container by your number of containers to determine your effective gross income. Then, subtract your monthly expenses to determine your effective monthly income.
Step 5: Be Realistic
Know your limits and financial capabilities. Everyone is different; therefore every mobile storage business will have its own unique characteristics. Will you start small and build it over time? Will you be an owner operator or will you have employees? How will you finance your business? Answers to these questions will help shape the outlook of your mobile storage business.
Step 6: Make A Decision
Once you have the product knowledge and understand the numbers. You need to decide if portable storage is right for you. If it is, then decide if you should figure everything else out on your own, if a franchise is right for you, or if you want the freedom to run your business using the most trusted brand name in the industry. Decide if a MI-BOX Mobile Storage Dealership is right for you.
MI-BOX will assist any prospective dealer free of charge. Getting you the correct information to make sound business decisions is what we do. Using quality products that last is who we are. Let us help you with your mobile storage decision. Remember that a portable storage franchise is different from a portable storage dealership. A MI-BOX dealership has fewer restrictions and enables you to keep more of the money you make!